Roger Edwards - Making the Leap From Corporate Life to Solopreneurship
To officially mark the third season of the Brand Design Masters Podcast, we’re kicking off with the perfect backdrop: Westminster Abbey in London, with its bells chiming in honor of Remembrance Day and a fantastic guest to boot: Roger Edwards.
Roger is a speaker, podcaster, and marketing guru with a stellar 25-year career in “big corporate” handling some of the biggest brands in the UK. Today, he runs a thriving marketing agency and consults with companies on effective marketing strategy.
We talk about:
- His 25-year career in “big corporate” marketing
- How digital marketing restrictions and the resistance to using it in corporate paved the way for him to take the leap into solopreneurship
- His view of technology giving rise to the mistake of confusing marketing with communication
- The two prongs of strategy that make communication effective
- Content being a long game: how he landed a consultancy project only after episode 89 of his podcast and how I waited two years before a YouTube video of mine went viral
- What he’s seeing on the horizon for branding and marketing for SMEs
- The three questions you need to ask yourself to formulate your core offer
- Being better than your competition vs. being different than them
- How embracing your own personality and building your own personal brand can help with brand differentiation
- Starting off communication with a question that is client-centric and other best practices in his website
- His personal mantra on simplification
For more of work, head on over to his channels:
Thanks for listening! If you enjoyed this episode of the podcast, head on over to the following links for more of my work and some valuable resources to get you started on your own branding initiatives. Until the next episode!
VISIT MY WEBSITE:
JOIN THE BRAND•MUSE NEWSLETTER:
JOIN THE BRAND DESIGN MASTERS FACEBOOK GROUP:
SUBSCRIBE TO MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL:
FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER:
FOLLOW ME ON PINTEREST:
LIKE MY AGENCY ON FACEBOOK:
Bring Your Own Laptop - Adobe Training with Daniel Scott
Discount Code: “PHILIP50”
The Brand Design Masters Podcast is targeted to entrepreneurs, designers, creative professionals and anyone interested in brand strategy, business planning, graphic design, personal branding, trends and marketing.
Philip VanDusen is the owner of Verhaal Brand Design, a brand strategy and design agency based in New Jersey. Philip is a highly accomplished creative executive and expert in brand strategy, graphic design, marketing and creative management. Philip provides design, branding, marketing, career and business advice to creative professionals, entrepreneurs and companies on how to build successful brands for themselves and for the clients and customers they serve.